News

Don't be a hotdog with fireworks

Created: 6/27/11 (Mon) | Topic: Education

Independence Day is just a week away, and with sales of fireworks now underway, it's a good time to remind everyone, "Don't be a hotdog with fireworks."

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), says that, in 2010, fireworks-related injuries were associated with about 1,900 people ending up in emergency rooms. CPSC’s annual death and injury report on fireworks incidentsindicates that nearly half of these injuries occurred to children younger than 15 years of age. The culprits? Firecrackers, bottle rockets and sparklers – yes, sparklers.

Sparklers are considered by many to be the “safe” firework. But, did you know that an innocent looking sparkler can get as hot as the flame on some blow torches and can easily ignite clothing? Remind your friends and neighbors, before they touch a flame to any fireworks, they need to make sure it’s legal to do so where they live. If fireworks can be used legally where they live, here are a few guidelines CPSC recommends they follow:

Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.

Adults should always supervise fireworks activities.

Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that fizzle and don’t go off.

Never point or throw fireworks at another person.

Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.

After fireworks fully complete their functioning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding to prevent a fire.

More guidelines are at CPSC’s Fireworks Information Center.

Watch this video demonstration about how damaging a firecracker can be to a finger. 

Share on Pinterest

Do you have a news story to share? Send it to us and we might post it on our website!

Back To Top