Route 1000 - Safe Driving Tips
Teenage drivers have the highest crash risk of any age group. Even if you drive safely, others may not be as careful. Here are some safe driving tips to keep in mind:
- If an oncoming car is in your lane, avoid a head-on collision by reducing your speed and steering to the right.
- If you start to skid, turn in the direction that the rear of your vehicle is sliding.
- Don't over-brake or panic.
- Avoid being rear-ended by tapping on your brakes to let those behind you know that you are slowing down.
- Limit driving distractions such as talking on a cell phone or playing the music too loud.
- Pay careful attention to road conditions and slow down when driving conditions are bad. Rain can cause road surfaces to become slick.
- Remember to use your turn signals when making a lane change or a turn.
- Look over your shoulder before changing lanes. Don't rely on your mirrors alone.
- Never tailgate. Stay at least two seconds behind the car in front of you.